History of TSBA
Since its inception in 1939, the Tennessee School Boards Association has provided a collective voice for local public school systems. TSBA serves as a source of specialized assistance and information and as a strong liaison for Tennessee’s school boards. In 1953, the Tennessee Legislature officially recognized TSBA as “the organization and representative agency of the members of school boards of Tennessee” and authorized TSBA to provide services through membership dues paid by school boards.
In 1990, the Tennessee Legislature mandated that school board members attend one full-day training session each year. The State Board of Education authorized the Tennessee Department of Education to plan and implement the program. The Department of Education contracts with TSBA to conduct all of the training. TSBA also conducts a variety of meetings, workshops and seminars throughout the year to inform board members and administrators about key issues and topics affecting public education.